Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Wedding (at last)

After another full day of shopping, Tuesday night saw us at the Tiki Bar and Grill for the traditional Rehearsal Dinner. This was attended by the bridal party and their partners and all family. I think there was around 30 people in all, sitting along a huge table. It was a wonderful opportunity to get together, chat and catchup with what every had been doing.

The bride and groom provided an amazing buffet meal with everything you could imagine!! Cocktails flowed and everyone had a great time. At the end of the night there was still so much food left that Zac, one of Sarah's bridesmen, and I packed everything up and it went back to the apartments to feed the starving hoards for the next couple of days!!!

The wedding day dawned with more glorious sunshine. After a short sleep-in, I went downstairs for my hairdressers appointment at 11:30. This was when things went slightly askew. There was NO appointment recorded, even though Russ said he had made one, and they were too busy to fit me in anywhere. AGH!!!!!! After a few tears I realized there was nothing I could do, so set about trying to make the best of my hair on my own.

So, hair and make-up done, I held my breath and stepped into the dress I had chosen. I was holding my breath because I had not tried it on since I arived and there wss not a lot of room to spare. Anyway, the dress zipped up easily (phew) and we made our way down stairs to the bus which Mick had arranged to get everyone to the venue.

The bridal party (girls) had taken a limo early in the morning to have their hair and make-up done at the venue. The guys took the morning off to go shooting(!!!) at a local range and then also caught a limo at lunchtime.

The bus wss full with around 50 guests, beers were passed around and the mood was fabulous. Mick had arranged for us to take the scenic route so that people who had been in Honolulu only had a chance to take in some of the beautiful scenery of the North Shore. We arrived safely at the venue for the wedding, Lulu Palms estate, and piled off the bus with many people making a dash for the loo. It had been a 90 minute drive with beers after all!!

Not long after we alighted from the bus, the sky clouded over and some rain fell. Poor Mick, he was pretty disappointed given that the weather for the past two weeks had been continual sunshine. The rain passed quickly enough though, and before I knew it the ceremony was beginning. It was absolutely wonderful and a true reflection of Mick and Sarah's personalities. The procession started with some of the guys, then three couples of attendants, a very cute page boy and two of the cutest flowergirls I have ever seen. (If you haven't seen the photos check them out on my Facebook page). Then the beautiful bride arrived on the arm of her very proud Dad, Juan. She looked absolutely stunning and like an angel. Sarah has dark very curly hair and it hung halfway down her back with Frangipani flowers threaded into it. Her veil was very long and fell from a clip in the back of her hair. Her dress was divine. Cream chiffon with a deep v-neck front and back. I was so delighted to see that Sarah had bucked the ccurrent trend and DID NOT have a strapless dress. It had a crisscrossed tie under the bust which became a very long train. The sleeves were elbow length and made of three levels of frills. I don't actually feel I am doing the dress justice with this description.

Her skirt was gentle flowing and very feminine. The night before the wedding Sarah had sewn some very fine strings of beading onto the neckline and front of the dress. It looked so beautiful.

The ceremony was short and uncomplicated and I wish you all had been there to hear their very individual vows. They were a wondeful combination of sincere love and committment and some humour. I hope to get a transcript so I can share some of it some time.

Once the ceremony was finished the party started immediately. The bar was opened and the most amazing array of food appeared. There was all sorts of delicious things including a huge cheeseboard, salads,savouries, fruit, and desserts. Everyone filled their plates more than once.

There was a huge photo for everyone to sign, a photo booth for instant photos and a tiny clothes line to hang them on, a 'beer pong' table which is a favourite drinking game of the bride and groom (and friends). There were even individualised beer pong balls (like ping pong balls) with the date of the wedding, their names and a flower all tied up in little white gauze bags. So cute. There were games to play, bubble guns for the kids, a dance floor and an excellent DJ who kept the tunes going all day/night. It was some party.

Sure it rained a couple of times during the night, but it was never cold and the rain dried up before you knew it. At sunset everyone walked down to the beach to watch the sun sink into the sea and more photos were taken. It was spectacular.

There were some very funny speeches from some of Mick's mates and some lovely heartwarming ones from the girls.
The cake (red velvet cupcakes with a single top level and bride and groom smurfs) was cut and the groom ended up with cake all over his face (in trye American tradition). Mick made a wonderful speech and I was very proud.

It was such a relaxed and fun wedding. Everyone commented that they could not remember being at a better wedding.
The DJ kept everyone dancing, the barman was working hard and beore we knew it, the evening ended in the tradional "Mick' way. He and several of his mates did their now familiar 'nudie run' round the estate grounds. It was hysterically funny, especailly when someone moved their clothes and they had to search through the bushes using the light from their mobile phones before they found them.

We all finally re-boarded the buses and made our way back to Honolulu. Not sure what the other bus was like but, lead by an able group of young people at the back of the bus, we sang our way home. Everything from Khe Sahn to Advance Australia Fair.

I could not have wished for a better wedding to celebrate Mick and Sarah and their amazing love story. It was a true reflection of them and despite the fact that the stress almost made Mick grey overnight, it was well worth it. They worked so hard to make sure everyone had a fantastic time, not just at the wedding, but during their whole holiday in Hawaii.

I had the most wonderful day. I was so unbelievably proud of Mick and Sarah, I got to spend heaps of time with my gorgeous son David, his lovely wife Kylie and my very precious grandson Brodie (who was impecably behaved all day as usual). I also had the chance to chat to my darling daughter Jess which was a real treat. I could not have asked for anything more and after two wonderful weddings this year I am sure I will be on a high for a very long time.




No comments:

Post a Comment