Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Aloha

What an incredible 30 hours we have had.

Flight to Sydney left on time and we filled in the time at the international airport with browsing through duty free shopping. Didn't buy anything but I do have a few things on the radar for later.

I am an absolute convert to Business class travel. It is fabulous!! We were in the first row of seats so had heaps of room. Before we even took off we were sipping champagne and watching 'the poor people' boarding. What fun!!! Straight after take off (about 30 minutes late) we were given 'comfort packs' with pillows, blankets, socks and toiletries and hot towels to refresh us. Then we were invited to choose our meals and handed iPads for all our entertainment needs (movies, tv shows, music, videos, games etc). The rest of our economy flights are going to be such a comedown!!!

I must admit that by the end of the flight I was pretty much over it. Not sure how peope who travel all the time manage it!

The arrival through customs and immigration was very smooth and easy. These people certainly know all about customer service. So friendly, weloming and efficient. Our immigration agent, Officer Ben, was delicious. Big, black and utterly gorgeous. I was ready to migrate permanently, then and there.

Found our shuttle bus easily, picked up our hire car (I love the number plates with the rainbow)and we hit the road.


Driving on the wrong side of the car and on the wrong side of the road is surprisingly easier than I thought. Afer turning on the windscreen wipers instead of the indicators a few times and hitting the door instead of the gear stick a a few more times, it just becomes as automatic as driving at home. The only time I was thrown slightly was the first few turns onto the 'wrong' side of the road. Just follow the traffic and you don't go too far wrong.

We headed out of the airport and towards the North Shore. I was pretty tired after 48 hours without sleep (I couldn't
sleep the night before we left - nerves) so we decided to stop for brunch. Totally cool place called Breakaway which had the whole thatched huts, surfboards on the roof and surfie decor. Delicious Eggs Benedict for me and sunny-side up for Russ. Hash browns here are a whole new thing - totally delicious and way better than what Maccas call hash browns.

Fortified we hit the road again and found Waimea Bay - home of surfing. Russ was in total heaven to actually be there. It is the wrong time of the year for big surf, but the beach is just beautiful. Stayed there for ages (I may have even had forty winks lying on the beach). A little further on was Sunset Beach another iconic surf beach. Finally we arrived at Turtle Bay resort. Words almost fail me (unusual I know!!). It is just stunning and vast. (More exploring and info tomorrow).

Checked in early and once I saw that king size bed .... that was it for me. I slept for a few hours and now feel like my old self. Long shower to wash away the travel grime and some dinner.

I apologize for the lack of photos. Having problems uploading them to the blog. I will work on it and hopefully tomorrow with have some images for you. Catch you then xxx

1 comment:

  1. Keep the updates coming Jen. Can't wait for the photos (with you in them). Tammi xx

    ReplyDelete