Saturday, June 30, 2012

Disney California Adventure Land

Next morning we caught the same bus back to the Disneyland complex. After our big day the day before, we were decidedly less bouncy but no less enthusiastic.

It took a while to actually walk in as there was a fairly large area fenced off while they prepared a new 'world' called Buena Vista. It was due to open the week after we were there. We started to walk around to the right and the first thing I saw was an enormous 20 foot bear statue!! It was near the entry to a really exciting looking ride which had people on huge tyre shaped floats which went down a fast flowing river while spinning in all directions. I was pretty keen to have a go until I read all the warnings for people who should not attempt the ride. Sense took over and we decided to give it a miss. We spent some time leaning over a bridge watching all the terrified faces as they were tossed around in their rubber tyres!!!

We stopped off and had some quick breakfast (couldn't face it when we woke earlier!!!). Next stop was Bug Land. The exhibit looked amazing and while looking around we noticed there was a 3D movie to watch. This was where things got so funny. There were all these signs warning that children may be frightened by the movie. I said to Russ that I could nt understand how a few bugs old scare kids .... what overkill!!! We took our places in the auditorium which was made to look like a woodland area, donned our 3D glasses and off it went. I admit I got a little shock when the first butterfly flew straight at me. I just could not resist trying to touch it even though I knew it was just an image!! The movie showed all sorts of bugs and their tricks of spitting, spraying water and sending out foul smells. Lots of fun but the funniest part was just beginning.

From bugs they moved on to spiders. They started jumping at us and then heaps seemed to dangle from the ceiling right in front of us. Poor Russ ... he does not like spiders at all and it frightened the life out of him. Honestly, he was squealing like a girl and I could barely stop myself from falling off my seat, I was laughing so hard at him!!! It was an absolute scream. The movie wound up and there was an announcement for everyone to stay in their seats while all the bugs left the auditorium. It was suh a surprise when you heard scuttling noises right under your seat and then it actually felt like something was bumping the seat right underneath you!!! I admit ... I jumped a mile.

We left the auditorium and Bug World laughing so hard we totally forgot we were tired!!!

The giant ferris wheel was calling. There were two choices here ... Some of the cages just went around the edge as usual, but some moved along the struts of the whole wheel. So when the giant wheel moved around, the moving cages slid from the inside to the outside of the wheel. Having previously described Russ's dislike of scary ride, I probably don't have to tell you which option we took! We shared the cage with a delightful 10 year old Texan lad and his mum. We were amused to hear he was there to cross the first item off his 'bucket list'. Bless him!!! The ride was great and provided fabulous views of the whole park.

We wandered around and came across what looked like a row of sideshow games. One involved shooting a target with a high pressure water gun. When you hit the target your car moved up the gauge. You raced other people to get To the top, so I had a go and on my second try ... I WON!!! The prize was the cutest stuffed Dumbo. I loved it and it will take pride of place at home.

We had a snack, watched the Pixar parade (the Adventure Park version of Mickey's parade) which again had incredible floats and costumes. Then walked and checked out the rest of the park. By 5 o'clock I was ready to pack it in, so we collected some more souvenirs and made our way back to the bus. Boy did we sleep well!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment